Originally constructed from 1939 to 1944 to support submarine construction, B178 is an integral part of the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Historic District. With an existing footprint of approximately 170,000 square feet segregated into three open bays, Building 178 is ideally suited to being transformed into a state of the art warehouse facility urgently needed by the Shipyard to offset a shortage of 126,000 square feet in covered storage facilities for mission critical equipment and material within the Controlled Industrial Area.
The Maine State Historic Preservation Office determined that Building 178 is eligible for entry into the National Register for Historic Places, requiring any modernization to retain the existing architectural and structural elements that define the character of the building. That effort was balanced with realizing a substantial energy savings. As such, the following goals guided the Design-Build team in modernizing B178: adhering to national historic preservation guidelines; realizing an annual energy savings of 25,062 mmBTU; attaining LEED Silver certification; incorporating ADA standards for accessible design; minimizing impact to the historic structure and Historic District; preserving and restoring site ecosystems and biodiversity; and minimizing impact on the aquatic environment ranging from eel grass to mammals.
The scope of work included providing a new insulated metal panel exterior envelope, curtain wall and windows; new TPO roof with a 71.5kW PV-solar array; energy saving HVAC and electrical upgrades; structural upgrades and repairs to shipways. Structural upgrades to the roof; crane access stairs and catwalks (where provided); new steam, compressed air and later services; and catwalks for servicing these systems 20 to 80 feet above the deck were designed and integrated into the existing structural frames. Supports for new gantry cranes are provided.